Sunday, September 20, 2015

Auspicium Melioris Aevi

Auspicium Melioris Aevi

I had previously thought some clever guy who knew Latin, perhaps an old school principal, had thought it up as a motto for my alma mater, Raffles Institution. 

Then one day I read that it was Sir Stamford Raffles’ motto. That did not surprise me, after all he founded  RI back in 1823.  It is still the family motto of Raffles' descendants.

Imagine my surprise when I found this in Melbourne's St Paul’s Cathedral last week.

 




It prompted me to search further, and I found that the Orders of St Michael and St George was established in 1818 and are awarded to holders of high officers in the British Empire. The Order has several classes, the highest of which is GCMG. Many heads of state had been awarded this title, including former President Ong Teng Cheong of Singapore. Whether or not Raffles received the award and therefore adopted the motto is unclear (to me).

Then I discovered that the same motto is being used by Ipswich State High; This was news to me even though we used to live less than half an hour's drive from that school.




There is so much in just a motto.

And here is one brave Rafflesian showing off his singing skills.  (click here)


5 comments:

  1. I've half forgotten what it means - took some mental gymnastics to remember "Onward to a better age" , that is, if I'm correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raffles Institution,Singapore should be informed of this discovery. As I could recall, it has not been mentioned that this was the motto of Sir Stamford Raffles' family who founded the island of Singapore (they probably didn't know?). It indeed would have added a greater depth of history to RI...... better late than never....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen different translations all along the same line. You can use Google Translate. Raffles' history was in a recent 2 or 3-part documentary (available on Channel News Asia or Youtube). I think it's the oldies like us who have lost touch with the latest information. The documentary threw interesting lights on Raffles' character. Kay and I are interested in following a Raffles trail, including the grave of his first wife in Jakarta and the church in London where he lies today - perhaps next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen different translations all along the same line. You can use Google Translate. Raffles' history was in a recent 2 or 3-part documentary (available on Channel News Asia or Youtube). I think it's the oldies like us who have lost touch with the latest information. The documentary threw interesting lights on Raffles' character. Kay and I are interested in following a Raffles trail, including the grave of his first wife in Jakarta and the church in London where he lies today - perhaps next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, smart this Google Translate. It translates as follows: " an omen of better times" (however, I tried Hanyu Pinyin and it went haywire) .Arthur's translation is more towards that of " the hope of a better age" found in the uploading of the "Raffles Institution Anthem" in youtube. I almost forgot about this anthem which has the motto Auspicium Melioris Aevi as well as a reference to God's blessings .

    A speech by the current RI principal which appeared in the Straits Times recently, has noted that there is now a tonal change in the background of the school's students which is quite sad.

    ReplyDelete